Are you a people watcher? Do you speculate about the world and the ways in which we inhabit it? Are you a creative thinker, with a fresh perspective on life and how we live it?
If you’re an inquisitive, imaginative person, with stories to tell, ideas to share or visions to impart, then we want to hear from you.
Can’t find the role for you? We always welcome speculative enquiries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
As your prospective employer, we need to process your Personal Data as needed to evaluate your qualification for the position you are applying for with Sutherland. During the recruitment process, your Personal Data may be transferred outside the European Union and disclosed to third parties in the normal course of the recruitment process or as needed to comply with applicable laws. This may include transferring information to our affiliated Companies for purposes connected to your employment with the company or to the management of Sutherland’s business. A complete privacy notice is available here.
Freelance Design Researchers
Are you eager to shape employee and customer experience for some of the world’s brightest brands? Want to work with a diverse team of researchers, strategists, and designers working on exciting challenges across industries?
Sutherland Labs is an experience design agency with offices in London and San Francisco. We meld research, strategy, and design to create solutions that not only grow businesses, but also enhance everyday lives. We’re a culture of curious thinkers who collaborate in a hands-on environment where taking a different perspective is paramount.
We are currently looking for freelance researchers to work on upcoming projects of 2-3 months, that require some travel to different countries.
- Work with our research teams to support user experience projects, conducting user research, field studies, usability testing and other activities
- Support the creation of journey maps, personas and other means of visual communication to bring research insights to life
Education and Experience
- At least undergraduate degree in Design, User Experience, Human-Computer Interaction, or a related field. In lieu of degree, relevant skills or equivalent experience.
- 1-3 years of research experience within the User Experience and/or Design in a commercial environment
- An understanding and demonstration of user-centered design principles.
- Strong written and communication skills
- Eligibility to work in the UK without sponsorship
- Global and domestic travel is required
- While scope of these projects is global, planning, analysis and other collaborative activities will take place in our London Labs. Freelance researchers must therefore be available and able to travel to and work in London.
Principal Design Researcher
Sutherland Labs is a global team of researchers and designers who work with leading brands to improve everyday experiences. We are looking for a Principal Researcher to be a key member of our London team, focused on planning, leading and managing research projects and actively seeking and nurturing client accounts.
- Grow key client accounts, from lead generation to pitch and account management
- Manage project teams to deliver a wide range of user experience projects for clients, internal and external
- Author responses to bid requests and win new work
- Work closely with senior leadership team to develop and deliver the team’s strategy and values
- Advocate the team and our work, e.g. publishing papers, attending industry events, writing blogs, being active on social media
Education and Experience
- Masters in Design, User Experience, Human-Computer Interaction, or a related field. In lieu of degree, relevant skills or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of research experience for a User Experience or Digital organisation and a specialism in a particular field, interest or research method
- A strong understanding and demonstration of user-centered and design principles, and planning, leading and managing research projects
- Strong business development experience, from developing new client relationships through to account management
- Demonstrable experience of applying research within a large organization, tackling complex projects that may involve numerous simultaneous stakeholders and delivering at a solutions driven level
Experience in developing and applying a unique research and/or design point of view
Experience with industry standard design and research tools (e.g. Axure, Omnigraffle, Balsamiq Mockups, Illustrator, Photoshop, etc.)
- Experience applying research methods within large organizations is desirable
- Eligibility to work in the UK
- Global and domestic travel is required
- Role is located in London, UK
Senior Design Researcher
Are you eager to shape employee and customer experience for some of the world’s brightest brands? Want to join a diverse team of researchers, strategists, and designers working on exciting challenges across industries?
Sutherland Labs is a human-centric design agency with offices in London and San Francisco. We meld research, strategy, and design to create solutions that not only grow businesses, but also enhance everyday lives. We’re a group of curious thinkers who collaborate in a hands-on environment where taking a different perspective is paramount.
We’re looking for a Senior Design Researcher to join our London team.
As a Senior Design Researcher you’re on a mission to uncover human needs and behaviors, to inform the development of smart, inspired, human-centered solutions. You’re able to dig deeper to uncover unexpected insights. You have a firm grasp of how content, brand, and design work together to create an optimal user experience. You’re up to date with the latest research methods and have experience applying them. You also see the big picture, working with stakeholders to understand the broader business strategy that informs the solution. You thrive amid different perspectives and collaborate fluidly with cross-functional teams. And you’re able to mentor early-career peers, coaching a design thinking approach.
- Create high-quality research deliverables, including insights reports, journey maps, service blueprints, process flows, storyboards, video highlights (with support from our in-house visual designers)
- Collaborate with a multi-disciplinary team and support all stages of the design process, from early problem definition and design research through to implementation
- Lead client meetings and co-creation workshops to capture business requirements and explore customer experience challenges
- Respond creatively to bid requests, scope projects, and help win new work
- Be an ambassador for design thinking, innovation, and human-centered design
- Confidently lead and support multiple projects and client engagements simultaneously
- Mentor and manage junior team members
- Examples of your research outputs, showcasing broad professional experience, application of research methodologies, and diverse deliverables
- Experience working on complex, time-sensitive projects (B2B and B2C) with multidisciplinary teams across complex organizations
- Comfort navigating senior stakeholder groups
- Strong project leadership skills, including being a great communicator and presenter
- Strong understanding and demonstration of human-centered design principles
- Ability to embrace the unknown and inspire new ways of thinking
- Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology, Anthropology, Human-Computer Interaction, Design, or a related field; Masters preferred
- Eligibility to work in the UK permanently without sponsorship
- Availability for global and domestic travel
- Role is located in London
Sutherland Labs is a global team of researchers and designers who work with leading brands to improve everyday experiences. We are seeking a Studio Assistant to provide front of house and support the day-to-day operations within our London offices. Part of a global organisation, the Sutherland Labs space in London is multi functional – housing research, meeting and innovation spaces, that serve both internal and external markets.
The Studio Assistant is a varied, hands-on and client facing role. Our London office is a busy environment, home to a growing team of psychologists, anthropologists, ethnographers, designers and filmmakers, and is also a thriving research facility housing studios and meeting rooms.
This role reports to the Studio Manager, and is a key part of the studio and operations team. We host a varied range of clients and members of the public taking part in research. Customer experience is key to the success of our company and we are seeking a personable and approachable candidate to be the first point of contact for customers.
- Ensuring the smooth day-to-day operation of the studios by maintaining a creative and professional atmosphere at all times whilst accommodating the specific setup requirements of each client.
- Scheduling of the meeting rooms and providing support for meetings.
- Looking after the day-to-day maintenance of the building and making sure any problems are solved quickly.
- Stock control, ordering of studio, office and catering supplies.
- Admin support including invoicing and maintaining our CRM systems
- Developing and maintaining relationships with existing clients through excellent client service.
- Liaising with the Technology Manager prior to research sessions to make sure client requirements can be accommodated.
- Handling petty cash and incentive payments for research participants and signing in participants.
- Putting the clients needs first.
- Making sure the meeting rooms are fully stocked e.g. fridges, coffee stations.
- Serving client lunches.
- Meeting and greeting clients and participants.
The right candidate will be:
- Comfortable with AV and PC set ups.
- Patient and adaptable, each day will bring new projects and a wide range of corporate & creative clients to our labs and all need to feel welcome in our labs.
- Comfortable with opening/closing the office when required.
- Flexible with working hours.
- Attentive to the little details that make for a great customer experience.
- Outgoing personality & a can-do attitude.
- Able to reflect our laid back style whilst also having a keen eye for detail.
This role is a great position for someone looking to be part of a busy and vibrant workplace. Reliability and personality are the key and everyday brings a new client from a range of industries.
- Experience in hospitality or relevant experience in a customer facing role.
- Degree level or equivalent
- 8.30am – 5:30pm (flexibility required, occasionally needed to start at 7am or finish at 11pm however, we do operate a time owed in leave policy).
- This role is Full time, permanent.
Currently no vacancies advertised.