Are you a people watcher? Do you speculate about the world and the ways in which we inhabit it? Are you a creative thinker, with a fresh perspective on life and how we live it?
If you’re an inquisitive, imaginative person, with stories to tell, ideas to share or visions to impart, then we want to hear from you.
Can’t find the role for you? We always welcome speculative enquiries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
As your prospective employer, we need to process your Personal Data as needed to evaluate your qualification for the position you are applying for with Sutherland. During the recruitment process, your Personal Data may be transferred outside the European Union and disclosed to third parties in the normal course of the recruitment process or as needed to comply with applicable laws. This may include transferring information to our affiliated Companies for purposes connected to your employment with the company or to the management of Sutherland’s business. A complete privacy notice is available here.
Freelance Design Researchers
Are you eager to shape employee and customer experience for some of the world’s brightest brands? Want to work with a diverse team of researchers, strategists, and designers working on exciting challenges across industries?
Sutherland Labs is an experience design agency with offices in London and San Francisco. We meld research, strategy, and design to create solutions that not only grow businesses, but also enhance everyday lives. We’re a culture of curious thinkers who collaborate in a hands-on environment where taking a different perspective is paramount.
We are currently looking for freelance researchers to work on upcoming projects of 2-3 months, that require some travel to different countries.
- Work with our research teams to support user experience projects, conducting user research, field studies, usability testing and other activities
- Support the creation of journey maps, personas and other means of visual communication to bring research insights to life
Education and Experience
- At least undergraduate degree in Design, User Experience, Human-Computer Interaction, or a related field. In lieu of degree, relevant skills or equivalent experience.
- 1-3 years of research experience within the User Experience and/or Design in a commercial environment
- An understanding and demonstration of user-centered design principles.
- Strong written and communication skills
- Eligibility to work in the UK without sponsorship
- Global and domestic travel is required
- While scope of these projects is global, planning, analysis and other collaborative activities will take place in our London Labs. Freelance researchers must therefore be available and able to travel to and work in London.
Want to join a diverse team of designers, film makers, researchers, and strategists shaping employee and customer experience for some of the world’s brightest brands, such as the BBC, Sony and Sky?
Sutherland Labs is an experience design agency with offices in London and San Francisco. Don’t worry, although we are called ‘Labs’ we won’t require you to wear a lab coat.
We meld research, strategy, and design to create solutions that not only grow businesses, but also enhance everyday lives. We’re a culture of curious thinkers who collaborate in a hands-on environment where taking a different perspective is paramount. We have a saying here in the labs, “love the problem not the solution”, which means we seek to understand our client’s challenges fully so that we can provide them with the best recommendations for a way forward.
About the role
We’re looking for a Junior Designer to join our busy design practice in Covent Garden, London, to produce creative content and visuals for external projects and in-house for our parent company. You’ll work closely with Senior Designers, Creative Directors, and Producers. We’re looking for someone who oozes passion and isn’t afraid to get stuck in with skills in illustration and motion graphics plus an understanding of the video production process.
By joining Sutherland Labs you’ll also benefit from our social office culture and breakfast on Fridays (we’ve even got our own sweet shop!).
- Design and produce creative assets and content, led by a brief, for use in various formats from digital, print, motion graphics, and video to support the team and wider business.
- Support the design process from beginning to end.
- Design to branding guidelines, where necessary and always looking for inspiration.
- Participate, alongside senior team members, in client meetings and workshops to capture business requirements and explore customer experience challenges.
- Degree-level study in Graphic Design, or a related field. In lieu of degree, relevant skills or equivalent experience.
- At least 2 years’ experience in the industry (or equivalent project experience).
- Passion for all things design.
- Proficient in industry standard design tools such as InDesign, After Effects, Sketch, Illustrator, Photoshop, Premiere, etc.
- Experience producing visual designs for screen and print across a variety of media.
- Excellent interpersonal and client communication skills.
- Strong project and people skills, keen to participate and contribute in a team and ability to work independently and communicate a point of view.
- Enthusiasm for new challenges, always looking to learn and pick up new skills.
- Ability to embrace the unknown and inspire new ways of thinking.
- An understanding of user-centered design principles – you put the user at the heart of what you do.
- Portfolio demonstrating your breadth of experience.
- Eligibility to work in the UK.
- Global and domestic travel may be required.
- Role is located in London, UK.
Please submit your resume, cover letter, and 3 projects that best represent your capabilities and interests. Please include links to your portfolio, blog and/or website.
We are seeking a Team Coordinator who will provide front of house and support the day-to-day operations within our London offices. Part of a global organization, the Sutherland Labs space in London is multi-functional – housing research, meeting and innovation spaces, that serve both internal and external markets.
Based in our studio and operations team, this is a varied role and will suit someone who is eager to roll up their sleeves and get involved in all aspects of running our London offices.
- Providing front of house and supporting the day-to-day operations of our studio hire business
- Working with studio manager to build and maintain our studio hire client base
- EA duties for the Global Head of Sutherland Labs, including diary management, travel plans
- Working with all levels of the organization to schedule and organize events, from client meetings to analyst briefings, to marketing and social events
- Providing first response to incoming booking, sales enquiries and job applications, as well as coordinating job searches
- Looking after our busy team, ensuring the smooth running of projects
- Managing the invoicing of projects and vendor accounts.
- Working to ensure monthly reporting is timely and accurate.
- Working with marketing director to set up events and campaigns to generate leads and revenue
- Supporting our marketing director in a range of tasks, such as overseeing external agencies to produce and schedule content for our blog and social media outlets
- Helping to develop case studies, brochures, newsletters and other marketing collateral.
We’re an eclectic mix of people, with different backgrounds and education, and are ideally looking for people that have previously worked in creative or digital marketing environments. In addition, candidates should have:
- Education to degree level or equivalent
- Experience of working with a wide range of tools – including Microsoft Office, MacOS, Google Drive
- Some familiarity with sales and accounting platforms such as Oracle and Salesforce (desirable, but not essential)
- At least 3 years experience in an office role, covering some of the responsibilities outlined
- Interest or experience of content marketing, digital marketing or PR
If this sounds like you, please get in touch.