Are you a people watcher? Do you speculate about the world and the ways in which we inhabit it? Are you a creative thinker, with a fresh perspective on life and how we live it?
If you’re an inquisitive, imaginative person, with stories to tell, ideas to share or visions to impart, then we want to hear from you.
Can’t find the role for you? We always welcome speculative enquiries, please contact email@example.com.
As your prospective employer, we need to process your Personal Data as needed to evaluate your qualification for the position you are applying for with Sutherland. During the recruitment process, your Personal Data may be transferred outside the European Union and disclosed to third parties in the normal course of the recruitment process or as needed to comply with applicable laws. This may include transferring information to our affiliated Companies for purposes connected to your employment with the company or to the management of Sutherland’s business. A complete privacy notice is available here.
Freelance Design Researchers
Are you eager to shape employee and customer experience for some of the world’s brightest brands? Want to work with a diverse team of researchers, strategists, and designers working on exciting challenges across industries?
Sutherland Labs is an experience design agency with offices in London and San Francisco. We meld research, strategy, and design to create solutions that not only grow businesses, but also enhance everyday lives. We’re a culture of curious thinkers who collaborate in a hands-on environment where taking a different perspective is paramount.
We are currently looking for freelance researchers to work on upcoming projects of 2-3 months, that require some travel to different countries.
- Work with our research teams to support user experience projects, conducting user research, field studies, usability testing and other activities
- Support the creation of journey maps, personas and other means of visual communication to bring research insights to life
Education and Experience
- At least undergraduate degree in Design, User Experience, Human-Computer Interaction, or a related field. In lieu of degree, relevant skills or equivalent experience.
- 1-3 years of research experience within the User Experience and/or Design in a commercial environment
- An understanding and demonstration of user-centered design principles.
- Strong written and communication skills
- Eligibility to work in the UK without sponsorship
- Global and domestic travel is required
- While scope of these projects is global, planning, analysis and other collaborative activities will take place in our London Labs. Freelance researchers must therefore be available and able to travel to and work in London.
We’re looking for a Junior Designer to join our busy design practice in Covent Garden, London, to produce creative content and visuals for external projects as well as internal marketing. We’re looking for someone who oozes passion and isn’t afraid to get stuck in with skills in illustration and an understanding of motion graphics and the video production process.
By joining Sutherland Labs you’ll also benefit from our social office culture and breakfast on Fridays (we’ve even got our own sweet shop!).
- Design and produce creative assets and content, led by a brief, for use in various formats from print and web, to video and slide decks to support the team and wider business.
- Design to branding guidelines, where necessary and always looking for inspiration.
- Create sketches and storyboards to visualise solutions.
- Support design and research leads on bid requests, scoping projects and help win new work.
- Work with the wider creative and research teams to validate ideas and designs.
- Participate in client meetings and workshops to capture business requirements and explore customer experience challenges.
- Degree-level study in Graphic Design, or a related field. In lieu of degree, relevant skills or equivalent experience.
- At least 2 years’ experience in the industry (or equivalent project experience).
- Passion for all things design.
- Proficient in industry standard design tools such as InDesign, Sketch, Illustrator, Photoshop, etc.
- Experience producing visual designs for screen and print across a variety of media.
- Excellent interpersonal and client communication skills.
- Strong project and people skills, keen to participate and contribute in a team and ability to work independently and communicate a point of view.
- Enthusiasm for new challenges, always looking to learn and pick up new skills.
- Ability to embrace the unknown and inspire new ways of thinking.
- An understanding of user-centered design principles – you put the user at the heart of what you do.
- Skills in video editing and animation.
- Portfolio demonstrating your breadth of experience.
- Eligibility to work in the UK.
- Global and domestic travel may be required.
- Role is located in London, UK.
Please submit your resume, cover letter, and 3 projects that best represent your capabilities and interests. Please include links to your portfolio, blog and/or website.
Studio Assistant (maternity cover)
Sutherland Labs is a global team of researchers and designers who work with leading brands to improve everyday experiences. We are seeking a Studio Assistant to provide front of house and support the day-to-day operations within our London offices. Part of a global organization, the Sutherland Labs space in London is multi functional – housing research, meeting and innovation spaces, that serve both internal and external markets.
The Studio Assistant is a varied, hands-on and client facing role. Our London office is a busy environment, home to a growing team of psychologists, anthropologists, ethnographers, designers and filmmakers, and is also a thriving research facility housing studios and meeting rooms.
This role is a key part of the studio and operations team. We host a varied range of clients and members of the public taking part in research. Customer experience is key to the success of our company and we are seeking a personable and approachable candidate to be the first point of contact for customers.
- Ensuring the smooth day-to-day operation of the studios by maintaining a creative and professional atmosphere at all times whilst accommodating the specific setup requirements of each client
- Scheduling of the meeting rooms and providing support for meetings
- Looking after the day-to-day maintenance of the building and making sure any problems are solved quickly
- Stock control, ordering of studio, office and catering supplies.
- Admin support including invoicing and maintaining our CRM systems
- Developing and maintaining relationships with existing clients through excellent client service
- Liaising with the Technology Manager prior to research sessions to make sure client requirements can be accommodated
- Handling petty cash and incentive payments for research participants and signing in participants.
- Hosting duties include:
– Putting the clients needs first
– Making sure the meeting rooms are fully stocked e.g. fridges, coffee stations
– Serving client lunches & assist with room set ups including moving tables, chairs and drinks around the building.
– Meeting and greeting clients and participants
The right candidate will be
- Comfortable with AV and PC set ups
- Patient and adaptable, each day will bring new projects and a wide range of corporate & creative clients to our labs and all need to feel welcome in our labs
- Comfortable with opening/closing the office when required
- Flexible with working hours
- Attentive to the little details that make for a great customer experience
- Outgoing personality & a can-do attitude
- Able to reflect our laid back style whilst also having a keen eye for detail.
This role is a great position for someone looking to be part of a busy and vibrant workplace. Reliability and personality are the key and everyday brings a new client from a range of industries.
- Experience in hospitality or relevant experience in a customer facing role
- Degree level or equivalent
8.30am – 5:30pm (flexibility required, occasionally needed to start at 7am or finish at 11pm however, we do operate a time owed in leave policy). This role is maternity cover for a 7 month period starting at the beginning of December.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org